Wednesday 25 February 2015

Chocolate Bounty Bars.


There's something magical about chocolate in that generally speaking, anything you put it with will suddenly taste about 586% better than it did without chocolate. I know this because I have taken it upon myself to dedicate my life to consuming large amounts of chocolate and subsequently take great enjoyment in eating it with anything and everything. You might even go so far to say that I am a chocolate expert, but I don't want to toot my own horn or anything....

These bounty bars are a case in point. In early February I moved back to Canberra to start my second year of uni. Now I love Canberra and surprisingly I also love uni, but there is one sad fact I face every time I leave home - in Canberra I live at a college that doesn't have an oven. Now, many people have said 'oh but why not just move into a house if you love cooking so much' to which I always reply 'hmm, well, great idea in theory, apart from the fact that I absolutely love college and don't really want to leave'. What the result of this is, is I have begun to invent ways to cook without an oven (or stovetop). These chocolate bounty bars are absolutely brilliant because they literally only require a fridge and freezer, some bowls, and a small cake tin and you're set which means that they can be made at college! YAY!

Back to my everything-tastes-better-with-chocolate theory. So, I made the coconut filling first and put it in the freezer to set, then the fridge. I've had a fairly busy week which meant I didn't get around to making the chocolate for a few days and consequently I had bars of uncoated coconut deliciousness floating about my room for a few days. I'll confess I ate quite an embarrassing amount of this uncoated coconut and man does it taste good! BUT! Then I got my act together and put some entirely homemade chocolate on the bars and OH DEAR LORD IS THIS DELICIOUS. I literally cannot stop eating them. 15/10 would recommend making these, and they're so easy to make that you basically don't have any excuse not to so get to it!

I should also mention that these bars of yum are 100% dairy free, 100% refined sugar free, 100% gluten free and 100% vegan. Now, there's nothing I love more than chocolate that's actually healthy food. #winning



Ingredients;
(makes approx. 15 bars)

The Filling
2 cups shredded coconut (desiccated also works)
1 cup organic coconut cream (full fat)
2 tbsp virgin coconut oil (melted)
2 tbsp pure maple syrup

1. In a bowl, combine all of the above ingredients. Mix until well combined.
2. Taking a slice/loaf tin that you've lined with baking paper (parchment), spoon the mixture into the tin and use a spoon to press it down well. I had my mixture be about 2cm high, but you can make it as thin or thick as you prefer.
3. Place the tin in the freezer overnight to make sure the coconut sets really well.
4. When the coconut has set, take a chopping board and, using the baking paper (parchment) to remove the coconut 'slab', place the coconut on the chopping board.
5. Use a sharp knife to slice the 'slab' into bar sized pieces. Mine were about 6cm long, 2cm wide and 2cm high. Then, make the chocolate coating (or store in the freezer until you wish to make the chocolate).

The Chocolate
6 tbsp virgin coconut oil (melted)
4 tbsp pure organic maple syrup
3 tbsp (heaped) raw cacao powder

1. In a bowl, combine all of the above ingredients.
2. Taking the frozen bars, individually dunk them into the chocolate mixture to coat them. Because the bars are frozen, the chocolate should set fairly well upon contact. I coated the bottom of all the bars, then put them in the fridge to set for a few minutes, before repeating for the top, sides and ends. A spoon may also help in coating the bars well.
3. When the coconut is fully covered in chocolate, place in the fridge and test your willpower by attempting to not consume all 15 bars within 24 hours of creation. I dare you.



No comments:

Post a Comment