Saturday 7 February 2015

Coconut and Blueberry Pancakes.


There's this little thing that happens every Sunday within the food community of Instagram called 'Pancake Sunday'. To be honest, I think that pancakes on Sunday is a not so little thing that happens all over the world every Sunday, but I decided to adopt the tradition after I started drooling over my phone upon seeing everybody else's Sunday pancake creations.

I like to think that I routinely make very wise decisions, and of late, that is something that hasn't changed, however Pancake Sunday is by far the best decision I have made in recent times. I literally look forward to pancake Sunday all week and spend really embarrassingly large amounts of time thinking about what pancakes I am going to make the coming Sunday. As always, I love a challenge, and some delicious healthy food, so I like to keep my pancake creations sugar, dairy, gluten and oil free when possible. I also love flavour, and pancakes are one of my favourite ways to combine new flavours, stick to some classic traditional combinations and basically go a bit crazy and to my mum's great distress, make her clean kitchen filthy! (For her benefit, I'll draw attention to the fact that I do actually clean up afterwards)

I mentioned in a previous post that my discovery of the week is without a doubt Vitasoy Unsweetened Coconut Milk, so that is what I used as my base ingredient this morning and this is the deliciousness that I came up with!



Ingredients;

The Pancakes
3/4 cup gluten free oats
1/3 cup brown rice flour
3/4 Vitasoy Unsweetened Coconut Milk
3 Medjool dates (pitted)
1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or 1 vanilla bean)
1 tsp baking powder

1. In a blender, pulse the oats until they resemble a flour like substance, then transfer to a mixing bowl
2. In the now empty blender, blend the coconut milk and medjool dates for approx. 1 minute, or until the dates are well broken up.
3. Add the brown rice flour, baking powder, the coconut and date mixture and the vanilla bean paste to the bowl with the oats and mix until everything is just combined. Don't over mix, because you will lose the lovely chunky consistency!
4. Divide the mixture into approx. 4 separate pancakes and cook in a pan on medium heat. I use a stone based pan, so I don't require oil, however for all other pans, use a small amount of coconut oil to make sure nothing burns! Each pancake will need approx. 2 minutes per side.

The Vanilla and Coconut Sauce
1/2 cup Vitasoy Unsweetened Coconut Milk
2 tsp cornflower
1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or 1 vanilla bean)

1. In a small saucepan, mix all the ingredients together.
2. Gently heat on low stirring constantly until the sauce reaches your desired consistency.

The Blueberries
1 cup blueberries
1 tbsp water

1. In a small saucepan, heat the blueberries and water over low heat for approx. 10 minutes. They will bubble and pop away, and eventually simmer to be a delicious deep purple sauce-like mixture.

To serve, make a stack with the pancakes, using some vanilla and coconut sauce between each pancake. Then, use the rest of the sauce to generously pour over the top. Then take the blueberries and pour those over the top of the pancakes and vanilla and coconut sauce and then run far, far away from all other people because this is the kind of thing you don't really want to have to share.



No comments:

Post a Comment