Thursday 12 March 2015

Pasta with Rocket, Tomato and Capsicum.


For all my American readers, this recipe title probably doesn't make much sense. In discovering a love for cooking, I have simultaneously discovered some rather hilarious linguistic differences in the names of common food items, which seems to be particularly bad when it comes to fresh fruit and vegetables. Without realising until I sat down to write this recipe, I seem to have rather deftly managed to incorporate the vast majority of these two-name foods. In essence, that means that, out of respect for the large number of American readers, I shall try to translate my classic, bogan Australian English into American English so you too can share in the deliciousness of this pasta.

In other news, I love pasta. I grew up in a rural area in South-Western Australia that is world renowned for its rich Italian heritage. Basically that means that there is a lot of pasta. And not just any pasta either, I'm talking the actual, genuine, homemade quality stuff. I put this to the test when I travelled in Italy in 2013 and sure enough, my humble country hometown on the complete opposite side of the world has pasta equal to any that I devoured whilst in the motherland. But, whilst it may taste like heaven on a plate, the average Italian pasta dish has quite a lot of room to improve nutritionally. Obviously the nutritional value of a pasta dish varies greatly between the individual types, so not everything is 'bad' or unhealthy, but when you can create something equally as delicious as the real thing right at home and have that dish be packed full of fresh green, leafy vegetables, delicious whole, non-salty tomatoes and potentially even a homegrown onion, why on earth you'd opt for the restaurant version is a mystery to me!! Also, this has avocado, and that should be reason enough for making and eating this.


Ingredients;
(a very large serving for one, or two smaller servings)

2 cups uncooked penne pasta (I used egg free, gluten free pasta)
1 tomato
1/4 onion (Spanish or brown both work)
2 shallots (spring onions)
1/4 cup low-fat semi sun-died tomatoes
1/4 cup antipasto capsicum (peppers - I buy this in a jar from the supermarket, but you could also roast your own and add some olive oil)
1 cup fresh rocket (arugula)
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 avocado 
1 handfull coriander (cilantro)

1. Cook the pasta according to pack instructions. When cooked, drain and rise briefly in cold water to take the heat away from the pasta.
2. Dice the onion, tomato and shallots. Place in a large bowl along with the sun-dried tomatoes, capsicum, rocket, pine nuts and coriander. Add in the pasta and combine well.
3. Serve up in a bowl, garnishing with the avocado and some extra pine nuts and coriander.
4. Devour your handiwork and pretend that you're in the Tuscan hills watching the sun set from a rustic balcony. 



No comments:

Post a Comment