Saturday 22 April 2017

Rainbow Singapore Noodle Stir-Fry.


I grew up eating stir-fry almost weekly. My mum (bless her), has never been much of a chef, nor has she ever had much time to unnecessarily spend in the kitchen making dinner. She's also always had the arguably ambitious view that as a family, we ought to eat more vegetables. As a child, I could not have disagreed with her more on that point, which is incredibly ironic given I'm now a vegan, but at the time, being told I needed to eat more vegetables was not exactly what I, or the other members of my family, wanted to hear.

Anyway. Mum persisted, mostly through routinely producing either a casserole (which I despise to this day) or a stir-fry (present-day favourite meal). Despite the presence of a deceptively large amount of vegetables, I LOVED her stir-fry's. So tasty. So much noodle. SO GOOD. Also, most importantly for mum (and now me), stir-fry's are like, the easiest, least time-consuming yet still incredibly nutritious and delicious meals you can make. Essentially the stir-fry wins on all fronts.

Ever since moving into my own place a few years ago, stir-fry has been a staple on my menu. It's an incredibly versatile meal, with almost endless options for sauces, proteins, vegetables and even noodles. I've long been in the pursuit of the perfect, 11/10 stir-fry, which has been a surprisingly elusive target, with getting the sauce-to-noodle ratio correct, the veggie composition spot-on or, as I have only recently discovered, the perfect noodles. My (very) recent addiction in life is Singapore noodles, and they've quickly become my noodle of choice for stir-fry's. I don't know what I've been doing my whole life till this point in not consuming Singapore noodles, but oooooo boy am I making up for all those Singapore-noodle-free years now. If you haven't tried this noodley goodness, remedy that ASAP. Singapore noodles are officially life. So. DAMN. TASTY. And, beautifully, they make the PERFECT base for an exceptional stir-fry!!




Ingredients;
The Stir-Fry
350gm Singapore noodles
125gm marinated tofu (I like to marinate mine overnight in tamari/soy sauce + garlic and chilli)
4 tbsp cornflower
3 tbsp (approx.) sesame seed oil
1 brown onion, diced
1 tsp mined garlic
1/2 head broccoli
1/2 red capsicum (pepper), finely sliced
1 cup sugar snap peas
1/2 cup finely sliced red cabbage
1 cup bean shoots
3 shallots, finely sliced
1 cob raw corn, kernels sliced off
Handful fresh coriander (cilantro)
Sesame seeds (to serve)

The Sauce
2 tbsp hoisin sauce (make sure you get a fish-free one!)
3 tbsp tamari/reduced salt soy sauce
1/2 tsp minced chilli (optional)
Zest and juice of 1 lime

1. Slice the marinated tofu into strips and coat in cornflower all over.
2. Heat a large fry pan on high heat. Add in the sesame seed oil, and then the coated tofu. Cook on both sides for several minutes, or until crispy and golden brown. Remove and place on some absorbent towel.
3. Turn the pan down to a medium heat and add the diced onion and garlic to the pan. Slice the broccoli into small florets and add to the pan, along with the capsicum. Cook for approx. 10 minutes, then add the sugar snap peas, red cabbage, shallots, corn and bean shoots.
4. Remove the Singapore noodles from their packet and, using your hands to break them up gently, add to the pan. Mix through with the veggies and cook for a few minutes.
5. While the noodles/veggies are cooking, take a small container/glass and add all the Sauce ingredients. Use a fork to whisk them together well.
6. Add the tofu to the pan, along with the sauce and fresh coriander. Mix everything through well.
7. Serve garnished with some sesame seeds (and fresh sugar snap peas for some extra fanciness!)





No comments:

Post a Comment