Monday 16 February 2015

Green Smoothie Bowl.


Smoothie bowls are one of my favourite breakfast for a few reasons. One, they taste good, which is obviously very important in a food item. Two, they look damn cool. Three, Instagram loves them. But, most importantly, four, they require creativity in the topping department which I have come to realise is in incredibly fun and satisfying way to procrastinate. I came to this fourth realisation this morning when I was quite frankly having the time of my life decorating my smoothie bowl when I realised I had spent so much time carefully cutting up some kiwi fruit that I was going to be late for my university class. It was at this point in time I discovered that I can get dressed, put on some makeup, do my hair, grab my uni books and change and organise handbags in the space of 5 minutes which I personally think takes significant talent.

So, the moral of the story here is that when you'd like a delicious, highly aesthetically pleasing breakfast that you can spend a completely unjustifiable amount of time creating, this one is for you! BUT!!! I should also mention that this green smoothie bowl need not take much time either, that one is entirely up to you and how creative you're feeling!

Also, I feel like it deserves mentioning that once upon a time I thought green smoothie's tasted like dirty dishwater. Indeed, some do, but fear not, after much experimentation I've uncovered the great secret; lime and mint. They taste delicious together (one of my favourite food combinations) and add a lovely light and zesty flavour that will have you totally forgetting that really you happen to be consuming a bowl of straight health! #EatYourGreens




Ingredients; 
2 bananas, peeled and frozen overnight
3 generous handfuls baby spinach
1/4 avocado
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
Large handful fresh mint
1 tbsp pure maple syrup
Rind and juice of 1 lime
1 kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped
Pulp of 1 passionfruit

TOPPINGS! (I always use some kind of crunchy granola, plus lots of fruit!)

1. Chop the banana up into pieces manageable for your blender. Add to the blender along with all the other ingredients and blend on high speed for a few minutes until well combined.
2. Pour into a bowl and go to town with the toppings! Enjoy!

(N.B. this is a variation of my Green Smoothie recipe, the smoothie being a little lighter, and therefore finding it's home in the 'snacks' section rather than as a whole meal)







No comments:

Post a Comment