Sunday 8 February 2015

Macadamia, Pecan, Apple and Sultana Granola.


The first time I tried making this I set my kitchen on fire. Fire as in literal flames burning, resulting in copious amounts of smoke, a black tea towel and some burnt oats and nuts. All in all, it was a complete disaster.

But, I am not so easily deterred, so I've had another go and discovered that the second time must be the charm because this granola is DELICIOUS!

I should probably also make a second confession here, and divulge that in the past I haven't ever really liked granola, or so I thought. I've always had a bit of a thing against breakfast cereals and crunchy things (yes, I know, that's really weird). Adding to this 'dislike' was the fact that it is now widely acknowledged that whilst they may appear to be healthy, the generic boxes of granola available in the supermarket are usually packed full of sugar, meaning that they are actually quite bad for you. So, I set out to one, not set my kitchen on fire a second time, two, create some granola that tastes amazing, and three, have that amazing tasting granola be healthy, vegan and refined sugar free. I'm pleased to announce that in my opinion, all three goals have been well and truly accomplished!



Ingredients;
2 cups rolled oats (gluten free)
1/2 cup pecan nuts (sliced into quarters)
1/2 cup macadamia nuts (quartered)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp organic, pure maple syrup
2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
1 cup diced dried apple
1/2 cup sultanas

1. Preheat a fan forced oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. In a bowl, mix together they dry ingredients (the oats, pecan and macadamia nuts, cinnamon and nutmeg).
3. To the dry ingredients, add the vanilla extract, maple syrup and coconut oil. Use a spoon to mix the wet ingredients through really well, making sure that everything is well combined.
4. On a lined baking tray, spread the granola mixture out evenly and place in the oven. Cook for approx. 15 mins, but make sure to keep a close eye on things so as to avoid fire and burning. At about 10 mins, stir the granola and place back in the oven until the oats have started turning a light golden brown.
5. When golden brown, remove from the oven and allow to cool. Then, transfer back to the bowl and add in the diced apple and sultanas, mixing through well.
6. Store in an airtight container, or a funky glass jar if you're feeling particularly like a hipster.



No comments:

Post a Comment