Thursday 28 January 2016

Double Chocolate Brownies with Berries


For quite a while now I've wanted to make some vegan brownies. Actually, I ought to clarify something there - what I really mean to say is that for quite a while I've wanted to eat some vegan brownies, which then brought about the need to cook them. Just thought I'd declare my true priorities first....

Now, obviously chocolate is good and essential to any brownie, but it's even better when you double the quantity, which is precisely what happened here. You're welcome.

Then, in what may seem like an attempt to add some fruit for 'health purposes', I added some blueberries and some raspberries. As you may or may not be aware, fruit, and indeed berries, are rather healthy with all those antioxidants and other things your body needs. Whilst the berries do certainly make this already relatively healthy brownie healthier, that was not the primary motivation for their addition to the chocolate creation. See, adding berries in takes the humble brownie and makes it truly amazing. Again, in case you are unawares, berries are freaking delicious and, when you add them to a brownie, make things oh so delicious and moist and flavoursome and wow that you cannot stop. I know because I did this, and I did not stop eating until all brownie was gone. Trust me, add the berries.

Chocolate. Doubled. Berries. Brownie.

And that my friends, is a short synopsis of why these brownies are great.







Ingredients;

80gm vegan butter (I used Nuttelex)
20gm almond butter (approx. 2 tbsp) 
1/2 cup raw sugar
2 cups flour (I used organic white flour)
3 heaped tbsp raw cacao powder
3 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups unsweetened plant milk (I used almond milk)
250gm dairy free chocolate chips
1 cup frozen raspberries
1 cup frozen blueberries


1. Preheat a fan forced oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat the vegan butter, almond butter and sugar with an electric mixer until it is light and fluffy.
3. Add in the four, cacao, baking soda and plant milk and mix using an electric mixer unit everything is really well combined. If the mixture is a little too sticky/solid, add in a little extra plant milk. Add in the chocolate chips and two types of berries and gently fold them in using a spatula. 
4. Take a baking tin (I used a square tin, but any works) and line it with non-stick paper. Pour the brownie mixture into the tin and spread evenly. 
5. Bake for approx. 35-40 minutes. When cooked, a skewer inserted into the middle should come out clean and the brownie should be relatively firm to the touch. 
6. Allow to cool and then remove from the tin.
7. When serving, melt some dairy free chocolate to drizzle over the top along with some extra berries. Store in the fridge in an airtight container! 








No comments:

Post a Comment