Tuesday 30 May 2017

Tropical Dragonfruit and Mango Smoothie.


Dragonfruit (also known as pitaya) is majorly Insta-famous. It's everywhere. Everyone is in love, now including me.

A few weeks back I visited my local fresh food markets. There are a few fruit and vegetable shops there that sell all the normal stuff, as well as some more difficult to source/weird items. Because I live in Canberra in southern Australia, tropical fruits like dragonfruit definitely fall into the second category. But, despite not necessarily being the easiest to source, I think they're well worth the hunt, especially the pink ones because the colour they have is completely amazing! (see photos for evidence if you don't believe me!)

Anyway. This post is about food, so the taste of dragonfruit is obviously fairly important. Keeping in mind that I am yet to sample 100% fresh, locally grown and eaten dragonfruit (which will almost certainly be better than what I can source out of area and season), I find dragonfruit has quite a mild flavour, which makes them perfect for using in things with other bold flavours, like smoothie's for example. I decided to keep the tropical theme in this smoothie, so I paired my dragonfruit with mango, coconut, passionfruit, orange and a sneaky kiwi fruit.

It may well be heading into winter in Australia right now (May 2017), but this smoothie definitely transported me to a warm beach in the sun somewhere tropical, which in the absence of copious amounts of money and time, will have to suffice right now!





Ingredients;
1 pink dragonfruit
2 cups frozen diced mango (approx. 1 fruit)
1 passionfruit
1/2 cup fresh, pure orange juice
1 cup coconut milk/water (either works)
1 kiwi fruit
Handful frozen raspberries

*N.B. you can just make all this into the one smoothie, though for purely aesthetic reasons I like to make mine in 2 parts and pour separately, so then it's ombre and #fancy

1. Put the frozen mango, flesh from the passionfruit, orange juice and coconut milk/water into a blender. Blend on high for a minute or so, until totally smooth and chunk-free. If making an ombre smoothie, pour 3/4 of the mix out now into some glasses, keeping some mixture in the blender. Add in the flesh of the dragonfruit, the frozen raspberries and the flesh of the kiwifruit along with 1/4 cup water and blend again on high speed for a minute or so. Pour into glasses and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment